So the plan now is this. Interview with "D" next week is pretty much locked in. Second interview from "B" is half-confirmed too, though it could be a little awkward due to the recruiter apparently deciding that i'm "Mr" amw. If neither of those happen i'll be happy telecommuting for my previous employer for another six months to a year because frankly i'd be earning just as much money as i would've working at "A", and at least i'd be continuing to gain some experience outside the Java/RDBMS arena.
But man oh man that phonecall saying "no" after i'd kinda already said "yes" was amongst the hardest i've ever had to make.